Sunday, January 16, 2011

Sweet Endings - Sweet Ravioli



As a rule, I don't deep fry things. Ask anyone that knows me. I don't like the mess, or the smell of hot oil, and the fumes make my eyes burn. So I have no idea what inspired me to roll out these little beauties. But roll them out, I did.

They are surprisingly light and flaky, and very simply made. They aren't overly sweet and great with an evening cup of coffee.


You'll need:

Vegetable oil, for frying
1 package of ready to use pie crust
1/2 cup ricotta cheese
1/3 cup mini chocolate chips
1/4 cup finely chopped pecans
1/2 tsp vanilla
3 tbs powdered sugar
Flour for dusting

If you are adventurous, or more confident than I, feel free to make your own pie crust.


In a small bowl, add the ricotta cheese, the chocolate chips, the nuts, 1 tbs of powdered sugar, .... and the vanilla. You don't see the vanilla in the photo do you? It's because I forget it when I took the photo.

Don't be like me, add the vanilla.

I added it later. It's in there.

I promise.

Set the bowl aside. Oh, and try not to eat the filling.

Toss some flour on the counter.



Open your pie crusts, set one aside and roll out one on the flour.

Add the filling to the pie crust, by the teaspoon, leaving about an inch and a half between dollops. Dip your finger in a cup of water and wet the area between and around the filling. Try not to use too much water. You want the dough wet, but not slippery.



Unroll the second pie crust on top the first and using your fingers work the dough down and around the filling. Push to fuse the two crusts together.

Using a round cutter (I had a 2 inch cutter), or a glass, cut out the raviolis. Once you have them all cut out, use a fork the crimp and seal the edges.



In a heavy pot, heat a couple of inches of oil to 350 degrees. Carefully add a few raviolis at a time. You don't want to crowd them, or add so many that the oil temp drops. This will cause your raviolis to greasy.

Do not walk away from the ravioli in the pot. This happens fast. Faster than fast. Cook the raviolis until a deep golden brown, about a minute and half on each side.

Drain them on a paper towel lined plate. Allow them to cool a bit before using the remaining 2 tbs of powdered sugar to dust.

Do what I did, wash the dishes. Or clean up the oil splattered on your microwave.



Enjoy. She did. Although she wasn't happy with me snapping the picture. She said she didn't have any makeup on. Look at that face; she doesn't need any makeup.

Or maybe it's just me.

I made 14, with filling left over. I guess it all depends on how big your pie crusts are.

No comments:

Post a Comment