Monday, June 13, 2011

Love Letters

I am a sap.

A romantic.

Hopelessly.

And I'm darned proud of that fact.

Here are a few excerpts from famous love letters.

Elizabeth Barrett Browning wrote:
"You have touched me even more profoundly that I thought even you could touch me - my heart was full when you came here today.  Henceforward, I am yours for everything".

If I were writing my wedding vows, I would surely include those words.

Lord Randolph Churchill wrote:
"Dearest, if you are as fond of me as I am of you , nothing human could keep us long apart.  This past week seems an eternity tome; oh, I would give my soul for another of those days we had not long ago."

Juliette Drouet wrote this to Victor Hugo:
"You are not only the solar spectrum with the seven luminous colors, but the sun himself, that illumines, warms, and revivifies. That is what you are, and I am the lowly woman that adores you".

And James Joyce wrote the following to his wife:
"You are my only love. You have me completely in your power. I know and feel that if I am to write anything fine and noble in the future I shall do so only by listening at the doors of your heart. I would like to go through life side by side with you, telling you more and more until we grew to be one being together until the hour should come for us to die".

Then of course, there's John Keats:
"My dear girl, I love you ever and ever and without reserve. The more I have know you, the more I have loved. In every way - even my jealousies have been agonies of Love, in the hottest fit I have ever had, I would die for you.".

In this age of electronics, we've become lazy.

When was the last time you sat down and wrote out how you feel about someone? 

An honest to goodness handwritten letter; a thing you can hold, written with love.  Is there anything better?

Even if you're feeling it from a distance, even if they never get to see it, write it down. 

It's tangible.  You can run your fingers across it. 

It's priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment